Kitto, G. Barrie
Professor in Chemistry & Biochemistry
Main Office: WEL 4.260C
Alternate Office: WEL 4.270
The University of Texas at Austin - ICMB
1 University Station A5300
105 E. 24th St.
Austin, TX 78712-1095
Search PubMed for more publications by Prof. Name
Research Lab Students:
- Kirkovits, Larisa - Graduate Student
- Fullilove, Susan - Staff
- Lemburg, Jim - Staff
(1) Development of treatments and vaccines for AIDS. This research includes both the use of immunotoxins targeted to infected cells and a novel class of MHC-based vaccines.
(2) Vaccines for Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV). At present no vaccines are available for the important childhood disease caused by RSV. We are taking some of the new approaches we have developed for AIDS vaccines to apply to RSV.
(3) Rapid immunoassays for detecting food contaminants and plant diseases. Assays for insect and rodent contamination of grain and for detecting Karnal bunt, a fungal disease of wheat, are examples.
(4) Immunocontraceptives for control of animal pests. Species specific contraceptive baits are being developed for control of pests such as rats, mice, urban deer and rabbits. As an offshoot of these studies we are also exploring the potential of these methodologies for human male contraceptives.
|2005||Engstrom, J., Simpson, D., Cloonan, C., Lai, E., Johnston, K.P., Williams, R.O., and kitto, G.B., Effects of Cryogen and Interfaces on Stability of Proteins Dried by Spray Freezing Processes , American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences i:.|
|2003||Piper, J.D., Caras, J. and Kitto, G.B., Exploiting the Major Histocompatibility Complex to develop Antiviral Vaccines, Proceedings of the XII International congress on Genes, Gene Families and Isozymes, Claus Schnarrenberger and Brigitte Wittman-Liebold, eds., Medimond International Proceedings47-51.|
|2003||Hirschhorn, D. and Kitto, G.B. , Isozymes of Lactate Dehydrogenase as Mammalian Pest Contraceptives, Proceedings of XII International Congress on Genes, Gene Families and Isozymes, Claus Schnarrenberger and Brigitte Wittman-Liebold, eds., Medimond International Proceedings,53-57.|
|2002||Brader, B., Lee, R.C., Plarre, R., Burkholder, W., Kitto, G.B., Ehmke, K., Hagood, C., Kao, C., Polston, L., Dorneanu, E., Szabo, I., Mead, B., Rouse, B., Sullins, D., and Denning, R., A Comparison of Screening Methods for Insect Contamination in Wheat, J. Stored Products Res. 38(1):75-86.|
|2001||Burnett, M.S., Hofmann, M., and Kitto, G.B., A Potential Live Vaccine for HIV, Vaccine 19:735-742.|
(a new browser window will open)
"Caution, this search may require more information to be accurate or specific. Check authors and institution carefully."