CMB Faculty Buildings
The University's commitment to the Institute's success was demonstrated by the completion of the new 150,000 square foot Louise and James Robert Moffett Molecular Biology Building (MBB) in October, 1997. Built at a cost of approximately $28 million, the MBB provides state-of-the-art research facilities for twenty-five faculty investigators (some still to be recruited). Each of the Institute's investigators is assisted in research by a select staff of postdoctoral researchers, graduate and undergraduate students, technicians, and specialists.
Location is extremely important for any undertaking such as the Institute. This modern and architecturally stimulating facility offers easy access to primary thoroughfares and the University of Texas Austin campus. The Molecular Biology Building adjoins the present Life Science buildings and is a short walk from the College of Engineering, College of Pharmacy, and other supporting institutions. Adjacent buildings house fifty additional research faculty members of the ICMB, who are affiliated with numerous departments in the College of Natural Sciences, as well as the Colleges of Engineering and Pharmacy.
The Patterson Laboratories Building, completed in 1968, housed zoology, biochemistry other life sciences and the Biology Library. It is named after John T. Patterson who arrived in 1908. Prior to his arrival the Department of Zoology had little research and no library. He built up the department with a strong emphasis on research in genetics. One of those he brought to the department was H.J. Muller who demonstrated that X-rays caused mutations and for this work Muller was later awarded the Nobel Prize. Mullerís X-ray machine is in the east lobby of the Molecular Biology Building. The Patterson Building has greenhouses on the roof with butterfly gardens and is the building most likely to have reptiles running around loose. The Faculty in Cell and Developmental Biology, Integrative Biology and Neurobiology are housed in Patterson.
Welch Hall is the home of the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department. The building is named after Robert A. Welch, the benefactor of the Welch Foundation that supports chemical research in Texas and has given the University of Texas at Austin millions of dollars of support over the last 50 years.
The original building was built in the 1920s, a wing added in the 1960s and another addition in the 1970s. It is the most easy to get lost in because of all the additions. Look at a building map and you will see that it is in the shape of a block number nine.
If ESB is the ugliest, then Biological Labs may be the most historical and have the best landscaping as the home of the turtle ponds. Biological Laboratories was built in 1925 and renovated in 1981. Biological Laboratories was the site of the famous experiments by H. J. Muller that showed X-Rays were mutagenic. The instrument used for those experiments is on display in the north lobby of MBB. Faculty in Cell and Developmental Biology and Integrative Biology are located in this building.
T.S. Painter Hall was built in 1933 and was the physics and astronomy building. Painter has the coolest roof top, a miniature astronomical observatory that is open to the public during various times of the year for viewing the sky. In 1973 the buildings was remodeled and renamed for the late UT president and renowned geneticist, Theophilus Shickel Painter. Several cell and developmental biology laboratories are located in Painter Hall.
The Pharmacy buildings house faculty in Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology and Toxicology and Neuroscience research faculty.
Completed in 2005 NMS is a state of the art research laboratory facility. Faculty in Neurobiology, Molecular Genetics, and Cell and Developmental Biology are located in this building.
Expected completion for the new building is in 2008. Faculty in Medicinal Chemistry and Biomedical Engineering will be located in this new building.